May 16, 2017: First gemstone finished.
April 27, 2017: Dallas Market Hall demonstration kicked to the curb.
- First Gemstone finished.
- The machine works! Yay!
- I glued a second dobstick to the marble that had the bottom half done and placed it in the transfer block.
- After the epoxy dried I pulled off the first dobstick and cleaned off the epoxy with a knife.
- Then I did the top half of the gemstone within a few hours and Tada!
- It took so long between doing the bottom half and the top half because I had so much going on I just couldn't get to it.
April 18, 2017: Went to the Dallas Gem Club and presented the machine!
- It looks like my parent's faceting demonstration table at the Dallas Market Hall got booted from the show.
- So since they don't have a table I won't be able to demonstrate the GemCreator faceting machine with them there. Oh well.
- Last night I worked on a new gemstone and it turned out nicely.
- I've added opto-endstops to the dobstick and to the turret to "home" them. Works great!
- I've made several software changes (added homing and minor changes) and it makes it easier to keep the alignment.
- I tuned the stepper motor drivers and the stepper motors don't get quite as hot. Cool! :) :) :)
April 7, 2017: Mom's Gem Creator Prototype
- Seemed to be very well received
- Lots of questions and answers - seems to indicate lots of interest
- Several seemed interested in purchasing one but no sales yet, tho.
- Plan to demonstrate Dallas Market Hall April 28th - 30th.
March 16, 2017: Gem Creator Prototype Test 4
- Made a machine for my mom - she wanted one instantly when I showed her the first prototype! - Thanks mom!
- I asked her to pay for parts only - so sort of my first sale
- She's my first test subject and helping me with making it easier to use
- Now has 4 line display
- She wanted German flag colors.
March 12, 2017: Gem Creator Prototype Test 3
- First polishing of a glass marble
- Took a long time to figure out what would polish it
- Cerium Oxide mud and foam wheel did the trick after fine grinding
- Yay, it polishes!
March 11, 2017: Gem Creator Prototype Test 2
- Second rough grind of a glass marble
March 9, 2017: Gem Creator Prototype Test 1
- First rough grind of a glass marble
- First prototype
- Tested with a wooden ball
- No shroud yet or water system
- Has 2 line display
If you are interested in the Gem Creator, send me a note! jbrown#theswirlingbrain.com. (replace the pound sign for an at sign).
Back to my homepage